Tea is a part of most of our daily lives, and while we're surrounded by it all the time - how much do we really know about its history? We felt it was only fair to kick off our blog with some fun trivia facts & tidbits about your favourite beverage. Consider this perfect reading material for your next cup of tea!
1. According to Legend, Tea was discovered by Chinese Emperor Shen Nung in 2737 BC, almost 5000 years ago! A tea leaf accidentally fell into his bowl full of hot water and the rest is history.
2. The art of reading tea leaves is known as Tasseography. This is done to predict the future or someone’s fortune, based on patterns of leaves on the cup. Would you ever give it a go?
3. Rooibos is a herbal tea that is made from plants native to South Africa, which have thin leaves that look like needles. The tea is also called Red tea, after its beautiful colour.
4. Tea absorbs moisture, which is why it's important to store your loose tea and tea bags in sealed, air tight containers. This retains flavour and freshness.
5. Bubble Tea is a famous variation of tea that is sweet, and has tapioca pearls. It began in Taiwan in 1980 and originated with black tea and condensed milk for sweetness.
6. Herbal teas aren't traditional teas as they do not come from the tea plant, but are infusions of roots, leaves, flowers, seeds and fruits in a brewed form.